Job Opportunity: Security Officer
Monday, July 31, 2017
Job Summary and Key Responsibilities:
The Downtown Committee of Syracuse is a downtown management organization whose purpose is to improve downtown's image, strengthen its economic base, increase its attractiveness, and assure that it's clean, safe, and accessible. The primary focus of the security officer to patrol downtown and keep downtown Syracuse safe. The security officer is responsible for a walking beat in the community and responding to requests for assistance from businesses and the public. Police experience, particularly in community policing, and public relations skills are required. Retired police officers are encouraged to apply. Hours are primarily evening and/or weekend hours. Officers must represent the Downtown Committee of Syracuse in a professional manner at all times.
Reports To: Director of Security
- The officer must be physically, mentally and emotionally stable and act in a professional manner at all times.
- The officer must be in good physical condition to carry out the required duties on foot patrol.
- The officer must be able to assist store owners as well as Police to restrain, or take individuals into custody, in order to protect others as well as themselves.
- The officer may be the first responder to crimes in progress as well as disputes. He or she must at times, diffuse conflict but also be able to intervene physically when necessary.
- The officer should be able to detect any suspicious or possible criminal activity and notify police to end such actions.
- The officer should be friendly and courteous to the business owners, workers, and visitors to the downtown area.
- The officer must successfully comply with firearms qualifications, secure a valid pistol permit, and understand and comply with the use of deadly physical force regulations as stated in the NYS Penal Law and Criminal Procedures Law.
Qualifications and Experience:
Responsible, self-motivated individual who has experience in community policing. A valid NYS Driver’s License is required along with a good driving record. Must conform to a dress code and a criminal background check, drug and alcohol testing on all applicants is required. Experience with the Syracuse Police Department, Onondaga County Sherriff Department or other municipal Police department preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience and hours worked. If eligible, excellent benefits including health plan, 401(k), paid holidays and vacations.
The security officer patrols an 82-block district of Downtown Syracuse. The position requires extensive work outdoors with the community within the Downtown area. Downtown Syracuse is an urban and culturally diverse environment and is the daytime population center for Onondaga County.
Please email resume and cover letter to Merike Treier at email@example.com, or send via mail to:
Downtown Committee of Syracuse, Inc.
Attention: Security Officer Position
115 West Fayette Street
Syracuse, NY 13202